Back in August, we purchased a used motorhome. This is the first time we have ever owned an RV type vehicle. We thought it would be a great idea when we go out of town dancing to stay in one vs a hotel/motel. We got a 2003 Trailite B Plus. It did need some updates, but the body was in very good condition.
Initially when looking at it, I wanted to rip out the carpet, recover the sofa bed and seats, paint a couple walls, wallpaper one wall, and make new curtains for the door and for privacy. Well, plans changed. I discovered that ripping out the carpet was a LOT more work than I wanted to get in to, and reupholstering the sofa bed/seats were as well. I decided I really liked the fabric after all that they were covered with. I took several photos of what it looked like before:
One wall had this horrible dark paneling stuff and it was buckling. I thought I could rip it off but someone must have used super duper super glue stuff. The other walls were covered with wallpaper that I didn’t like.
The first thing I did was take down valances that were over two of the windows. After doing so, it was so much “cleaner” looking:
I decided to paint the wallpaper walls and then use a paintable textured wallpaper for the ugly paneling wall. I have never used this stuff before so was a little nervous, but turns out it wasn’t that hard. I decided on two colors that I was going to use, a cream color and light blue.
The cream was going to be used on the walls by the kitchen sink and the sofa bed. The blue was for the paintable textured wallpaper.
The knobs and pulls on all the cabinets were a brassy color and I didn’t like that either, so I faux painted all of them in bronze, gold and black and then sprayed with polyurethane.
In the process we discovered the refrigerator did NOT work. We were told it did and tried to negotiate with the previous owner to go in half to get a new one, but no deal. His argument was we had already negotiated quite a bit off so that should help cover it. When we got it in, discovered it didn’t have a front “cover” and was this ugly sorta stainless steel color. Well, we had some thin paneling in the metal building, so hubby cut it to size and stained it. I love this even better!
I decided to also faux paint the counter tops along with the table as I didn’t like them either.
I made new privacy and back door curtains as well.
So, I put up this sticky (contact) paper on the walls behind the stove area. I really liked it as it had dots of blues and browns. Well, yesterday discovered that it didn’t stick so had to take it down. Had to come up with an alternative plan – and I did. I painted my own dots!
First I textured the walls and when it dried, I used the same cream color paint that was left over from painting the living room and sink walls. Then using the contact paper as a guide, I used a round foam craft brush and craft paint that I had and dotted on my own dots!
The bathroom has a new shower curtain (with brown dots no less!) and is clean, items have been stored that will stay in here and we are ready to take our first trip. In fact, we have a reservation in a couple of weeks at an RV park about 3 hours from here and I am really looking forward to it. This will be a test to see if we really like RVing or not.
And, finally I am done!
Oh, one more thing. I was in Hobby Lobby a while back and found this ornament and had to have it of course.